2009 was definitely “The Year of the Suck” (personally speaking). I’ve found myself looking forward to the new year in hope of a lot of positive changes coming our way. And I’d have to say that 2010 has had a promising start already. New Year’s Day we visited with friends and family that we haven’t seen in ages. On the 2nd we honored a friend who’s home on leave from Iraq with a LAN party. Yesterday we pretty much vegged and today I’m back at work, but I guess I can’t complain too much about that. I have a job, and know many who are still looking (including my husband).
I’ve spent the last couple months realizing and appreciating the things for which I am truly grateful. I have a husband and daughter who love me. We have a roof over our heads and food on the table. I have wonderful and supportive friends and loved ones. I have a job. I have hope … I hold on to faith that things will work out in the end — even if I can’t see how they will or am desperately afraid that they won’t.
This is the time of year most people make their resolutions, right? I see many things I don’t like about myself or my life that I’d like to change.
- Get it together. I used to be better organized, and I definitely need to work on this — in both my professional and personal lives.
- Continue to control my spending and stick to a budget. Jim’s being out of work initiated this, but it’s something that I need to keep in check more.
- Lose weight and exercise more. Honestly, I don’t feel healthy and the extra weight I’ve gained since the wedding has had some negative effects on my general health and well-being. And, as much as I hate to admit to vanity, I really do think I looked a LOT better back then.
- Implement a better backup solution and upgrade to Windows 7. My backup drive (which was a “backup” in name only) recently went T.U. and I was rightfully scared, thinking I had lost nearly 7 years worth of data, projects, family photos, etc. Luckily for me, my wonderful husband brought it back from the brink of death and recovered everything. I had been putting this off for the better part of a year and since I bought a copy of Windows 7, having a fresh system would be a great time to sit down and better organize my data and get a REAL backup solution in place.
- Spend more time focused on my family. There’s always room for improvement — I want to be a better a wife, and a better mother.
The “might actually get done soon”
- Release another Firefox addon. I’ve been testing a simple Firefox addon for Aion. It’s been tested on several different versions of Windows and the feedback I’ve received has been promising. While I’d like to learn how to advance my programming skills more, actually releasing a working project is a good step in the right direction. :)
The “would like’s”
- Do more artistic stuff. I haven’t touched my graphics in ages. I have been neglecting my WordPress themes. I never really sit down and WRITE anymore. I need to work more on my creative outlets.
- Blog more. Hopefully if/when things get better, I will have more time/energy/desire to blog more here. There’s so much that I want to talk about sometimes, but lack the time or desire to sit down and type it out.
- Learn more. There are many things I’d love to learn. More cooking. More web design. More programming. Another language or three. I used to read up about anything and everything, and I need to start up again.
So here’s to a new year, and to hope. I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me.