I’ve been browsing the Heliocity forums, trying to catch up on everything I’ve missed — and it seems there’s a LOT! LOL I ran across some great articles: Video Ringtone Tutorial, Tips for syncing your calendar, … and a lot more.
One that I ran across I found particularly helpful, discussing Gmail. Now that Google has so graciously opened up IMAP, we can now use it on the Ocean. How cool is that? :D
Because between you and me, the current/default Gmail app on the Ocean sucks ass.
Firstly, check your Gmail account and make sure that IMAP is enabled. To do this, go to Settings, Forwarding and POP/IMAP, and under IMAP Access make sure Enable IMAP is checked. Save your changes and now go to your Helio Ocean.
Go to the main menu and choose Message to access your email accounts. To set up a new account, go to Menu, 2/Setup Email Accounts. Once inside Email Accounts, go to Menu, 1/New Mailbox.
My settings are as follows, but feel free to deviate from the directions where appropriate:
- Set as Default — I left this unchecked, as I want my MyHelio account to stay the default account.
- Mailbox Name — I named mine Gmail IMAP to distinguish it from the other.
- Username — This is your Gmail username (email address): email@example.com
- Password — Put your Gmail password here.
- Display Name — Put whatever you want set as your “from” name here.
- Email Address — This is your Gmail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use Signature — Check this if you want to specify a signature for your emails.
- Signature — If Use Signature is checked, your signature can be edited here.
- Incoming Mail Server Type — Set to IMAP.
- Incoming Mail Server — Set to imap.gmail.com
- Incoming Mail Server Port — Set to 993.
- Incoming Mail Server Secure — Make sure this is checked!
- Outgoing Mail Server — Set to smtp.gmail.com
- Outgoing Mail Server Port — Set to 465.
- Outgoing Mail Server Secure — Make sure this is checked!
- Outgoing Username — This is the same as your Username: email@example.com
- Outgoing Password — Put your Gmail password here.
- Date sort order — Set to your preference. I set mine to Descending.
Be sure to click SAVE! That’s it. You’re all set!
Again, I’d like to thank peetre001 and all the participants in the Heliocity forums for their tireless efforts in sharing Helio and Ocean related knowledge and tips to make our proverbial mobile lives easier! ;)