Hooray for Heliocity!
This morning I received the news via my feeds that Opera Mini is now available for my beloved Helio Ocean. YAY! :) Another toy for my toy! :)))
A quick smip of the good news:
Weâ€™re working on an application to allow anyone to convert MIDP 1.0/2.0 apps for Ocean compatibility – It should only be a few days before thatâ€™s ready. Weâ€™ll have more info in the days to come.
However, Opera Mini is ready now.
1) Though weâ€™ve thoroughly tested this, there are always unforeseeable issues. Install at your own risk. We really, really doubt anything could go wrong, but make sure to backup anything important. If things donâ€™t work, you may have to hard reset your device.
2) This is in no way supported by Helio or Opera. If you have trouble getting it to work, Tech support canâ€™t do squat. So donâ€™t bug â€™em.
To get it:
1. Point your Ocean browser over to: http://www.heliocity.net/downloads/
2. Press the â€œView in HTMLâ€ link to disable Google Mobilizer.
3. Click the â€œOpera Miniâ€ link. Download should begin.
If it doesnâ€™t work the first time, just try again. If it doesnâ€™t work that time, let us know – weâ€™ll look into it.
Itâ€™s Opera 3 – Not the new v4 Beta. Weâ€™ll be working on it – currently, the v4 beta just crashes the Ocean.
Itâ€™s not perfect yet.. It wasnâ€™t written specifically for the Ocean, so there are currently some obvious downsides: No landscape, and no QWERTY. There are a few really, really, really annoying bugs. Booo! Donâ€™t worry, weâ€™re working on it!
Be sure to check out the built in RSS Reader and the Photo Blogging tool.
Major thumbs up, once again, to those who did a ton to make this happen – JustinB and Gmonk63, you rock. Oh, and a big huge credit to Opera for making a ridiculously good app that, once the platform obstacles were overcome, pretty much just worked right out of the box.
More applications will begin trickling onto the Ocean soon. Get ready to use you Ocean for a whole lot more.
Great work, guys! I’m just tickled pink! I can easily see getting practically anything setup for my Helio … kitchen sinks, anyone? LOL! :mrgreen: