As much as I used to LOVE going to this event, I can’t seem to drag myself out to City Stages anymore. Maybe I’m getting “too old” as a friend of mine loves to say. LOL!
Maybe it’s the fact that:
- It’s almost always on a holiday (Father’s Day).
- It’s almost always way too hot to justify spending the whole weekend out in the sun.
- It almost always features musical acts (and I use that term LOOSELY!) that IMO should not be played anywhere NEAR “the Gospel stage” and other family-friendly shows.
- It’s almost always way too crowded for my taste.
- There’s almost always too many stupid drunks trying to start things they would otherwise never dream of saying/doing.
- The food/drink prices are insanely high and you cannot even bring water in with you.
I could go on …
Me, I’d rather save my money for a nice set of concert tickets. I hear Kid Rock is coming to town soon, I’ve always liked him. Keb’ Mo is supposed to be coming this way soon, I’d LOVE to see him play again. Wayne Brady is even making an appearance in a few months — that oughtta be sweet! And so on …
One thing that “the Stages” used to do well, but hasn’t done as much in recent years is support local musicians. I’ve seen several friends’ bands play over the years, and honestly that’s what started me going to City Stages in the first place. (Well, I was dating a bassist of one of said acts at the time … but you get my drift.) When is this city going to show some love to its fine local talent?