That’s what I’d call what’s going on in New Orleans right now. :cry:
In a sense they were lucky because the storm moved downshore just before reaching land, so it was not hit dead on. Honestly, it was like the Hand of God moved the hurricane a few miles east. But the Gulf Coast was still devastated.
New Orleans is almost completely underwater. Mississippi’s coastline and southern inland areas are demolished. Mobile has been ravaged and scarred as well. I’m seeing beaches, cities, places I’ve known and loved completely obliterated.
I sat earlier tonight looking at old pictures I had of Dauphin Island (AL), Waveland (MS), and New Orleans (LA). All gone.
On the news, I see people barely living, desparing, with little hope. I find it hard to believe that this could happen HERE, in AMERICA. We’re fucking AMERICA! I want to scream “Where was the evacuation plan? Where’s the mayor? Where’s the local Army Reserves? Why isn’t more being done?”
I know it’s hard down there. Very few can get in or out. And now a bunch of numbnuts are shooting at (and wounding/killing) relief workers and rescuers.
All so surreal, it’s literally a descent into a living Hell for people living in, around, or on our coastlines. And I feel a sense of loss for places and people that I’ve known, loved, and now lost.
There are still several people living in Mississippi and Louisianna that I still have not heard from. I pray and hope for the best, but fear the worst.
I have watched the news every night and cried, I can’t watch it anymore. What pains me is that I’m certain someone, somewhere, is taking notes … just imagine if a 9-11 like attack were staged on this kind of scale …
There’s a lot of fingerpointing, but luckily there’s more helping … we have several relief benefits going on here locally. Jessie’s school is having a fundraiser so we’re involved with that. Plus, I have been working on getting information to several Coven visitors who have misplaced family/friends, and have posted the following information in the hopes that it may help someone else:
FINDING A LOVED ONE:
- American Red Cross – 1-800-621-FEMA (621-3362) Lost, 1-866-GET-INFO (438-4636) Other Info
- Bureau of Naval Personnel – 1-877-414-5358 (For status of Navy Family members)
Text Messages: Phone lines are often jammed and it is hard to connect. Another suggestion is to send your loved one a text message on their cell phone. It might be easier for them get a line out to call you back.
- Salvation Army Team ERN – http://www.qso.com/satern411/
- Biloxi Sun-Herald – http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/
- New Orleans Times-Picayune – http://www.nola.com/
- Craig’s List – http://neworleans.craigslist.org/about/help/katrina
- Katrina Check-In – http://www.katrinacheckin.com/
When posting “In Search of …” ads, please remember to include as much information as possible for sighting reports! (you never know who might have seen your friend or loved one and could let you know that he or she is alright)
- American Red Cross, also call 1-800-HELP-NOW (435-7669), (800) 257-7575 para espanol, (800) 220-4095 for TDD operator.
- Salvation Army, or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769)
- Feed the Children
- NBA player and News Orleans-area native Chris Duhon’s Stand Tall Foundation, or call (312) 329-0687
- United Methodist Church, or call (800) 554-8583, mail to UMCOR, PO Box 9068, New York, NY 10087-9068, memo checks to “UMCOR Advance #982523, Hurricanes 2005 Global”
- Catholic Charities USA, or call (800) 919-9338, mail to Catholic Charities USA, 2005 Hurricane Relief Fund, PO Box 25168, Alexandria, VA 22313-9788
- United Jewish Communities, to mail a check: United Jewish Communities, P.O. Box 30, Old Chelsea Station, New York, NY 10113, Attention: Hurricane Katrina; or contact your local federation
- Christian Disaster Response, or call (941) 956-5183 or (941) 551-9554
- Episcopal Relief & Development, or call 1-800-334-7626
- Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals – call (504) 944-7445
- American Humane Society, or mail to American Humane Association, 63 Inverness Drive East, Denver, CO 80112
[ << · The Geek Ring · ?? · >> ]
[ << · The HotLine WebRing · >> ]
[ << · NetRing Nerds · ?? · >> ]
[ << · The Retronaut Webring · >> ]
[ << · devring.club · ?? · >> ]